Friday, November 16, 2018

Through Thick and Thin

Hello again!

I'm back with another awesome case from CSI : Color, Stories, Inspiration! This one is so bright, cheerful and super inspiring as well!

The cool image from this month's second Case File was found on decorating website DoceObra.

Here's a look at the freestyle case prompts :


And the traditional case file and clues :


EVIDENCE

Geometric patterns
Bricks
Embossed or textured paper
Stars
Hearts
Birds (or other animals)
Frames
Clock
Puffy stickers
Telephone or other gadget
Flowers
Phrase sticker
Bottle or jar
Mimic the boxed shelving as a design element
Fabric
Dangle something
Add something (or many things) completely unexpected to your page.

TESTIMONY (JOURNALING IDEAS)

Topic: Document something you do every day.
Prompt Idea: It’s Thanksgiving month. Thank something unexpected. Check this out for ideas of what I mean.
Presentation: Display your journaling in a frame or on a shelf-of-sorts with some other decorative elements.
Writing Format: Write a list of random things about your subject.
Inspiration Words: vibrant, quirky, unexpected

THE SCHEME

252.225.30 – bright yellow
21.173.178 – right between aqua and turquoise
205.73.24 – in between orange and red
248.250.249 – white
30.23.17 – black

And here's what I made with it this time :


I LOVED these bright colours this time, and that boxed shelving inspired me to make all the boxes you see here. I wanted to make kind of a "teenage boy-ish" layout and I loved these pictures of my son and nephew taken at my parents 45th wedding anniversary weekend, so this is the result of mixing those 2 ideas together.

Here's how I solved the case :

COLOURS

All the colours are there with the addition of a little bit of green, pulled from the pillows in the inspiration photo.

EVIDENCE

Geometric patterns
Bricks
Stars
Hearts
Frames
Puffy stickers
Other gadget (camera)
Phrase sticker (in the title)
Mimic the boxed shelving as a design element
Add something unexpected to your page

TESTIMONY

I used the WRITING FORMAT clue this time : "Write a list of random things about your subject" inspired the journaling this time.

Journaling

the two of you were born exactly 4 months apart - Ethan on August 10th and Tyler on December 10th

you both have 2 middle names that are in memory of very special people

you both have an older sister

you are both very “punny”
(like super annoyingly so)

you are both gamers

random snapchats - enough said.

you are both sneaky and mischievous and we love you both SO very much

As always, here's some close ups of my page :



First, just a quick look at one of the boxes that I created for the middle section of the page. I used some 140 pound Vicki Boutin Foundations paper to create each box. I just cut random sizes and then scored each edge at 5/8ths. Then I folded up the edges, cutting out triangle pieces out of the corners. Then I used double sided tape around all of the edges to "stick" the boxes together. Finally I used thin pieces of lighter weight black cardstock around the outside edges to finish them off. Each box has a different black and white patterned paper in it.






I wanted to show you how very 3D this layout actually is! There are 5 (that's right, FIVE!!) layers of foam tape holding the smallest photo up over the boxes! Maybe it's too high, but I LOVE how it looks!



A closer look at my title work - I used rub on letters for the word "cousins", and the "through thick and thin" is a phrase sticker that fit perfectly with the theme of the page. I was inspired to make the rainbow of colours underneath the title by another crafter on Vicki Boutin's Mixed Media Community over on Facebook. I simply cut the acetate cover of the foundations paper to size, and glued it down! Simple, but striking!!







A closer look at some of the boxes.



And finally, here's where I hid the journaling. The "so much fun" tab can be used to lift the top layer up. In addition to my list, I printed some more pictures of my son and nephew together throughout the years. It's been so fun watching them grow up together!


Don't forget, if you play with this case and link up over at CSI using the Mr. Linky tool on the right-hand side, you'll be entered into the draw for prizes from our awesome sponsors pictured above!!

Thanks for popping by and checking out my page today!
I can't wait to see how you solve this case!!!

1 comment:

Annie Claxton said...

What a stunning page design Vivian, the black/white looks fab against that gorgeous rainbow and that's so clever how you made the boxes, all in all a very cool page :o)xxx